Monday, July 11, 2011

Bottomless Triathlon

  The Bottomless Triathlon is a lot of fun and is a must do event.   I have to admit that at first I was not really sure that I wanted to do this triathlon because of the short distance of the coarse.  The event starts off with a 400 meter swim in the Bottomless Lake.  I really enjoyed the swim because the water was cold and clear.  The camp host of the park said that the temperature of the water was 65 degrees but I am not sure it was that cold.  I will have to say that the name of the lake surely is accurate because after swimming past the shallow water there is a steep drop off and the water below becomes dark.  It is literally like looking over a cliff but under water which made it a little eerie to say the least.  The triathlon starts with two waves, the females go first and ten minutes later the males head off.  I was pleased with the swim and made it out of the water along side one of my best friends and brother in Christ,  Russell Shute. 
  I had a decent transition and was off on the bike only an 8.4 mile ride.  As soon as you start off you quickly come up to a challenging climb.  I hammered away on the pedals and made it up the mountain with little trouble.  The roads of the coarse where rough and riders really have to pay attention because on the side of the road in some places there are steep drop offs, most of which are protected by rails.  About half way through the race I realized that my front brakes were not working which made the ride interesting.  I continued to ride hard and depended on my back brakes when I needed them.  I made it to T2 without any mishaps and was please with the ride which I completed in just over 23 minutes.
Me and Russell in the transition area.
    The run is an out and back run that is only 2.4 miles but for some reason it felt like it was three.  I think the heat might have played a role in making the short distance feel so long.  As I started out on the run I headed out of the transition area in the wrong direction and lost some time, but thanks to a spectator I was quickly directed on the right path.  The run is basically flat and had two water stations along the coarse.  I was not to happy with my run split but I have not quite recovered from a knee injury that I sustained during the Tri- Raider triathlon in Lubbock.  I am however, very thankful that God has given me the ability to race in triathlons.  Both me and my brother Russell had podium finishes and competed not for our selves but for the glory of Christ our Lord and Savior. 
  I do recommend this race for anyone who is interested.  After doing this race I wish I could do the F1 triathlon held in August but it conflicts with another event that I have signed up for.   The F1 Triathlon is basically twice the distance of the Bottomless triathlon.   The T-shirt for the event was simple but nice and the awards were wooden plaques.  After the race, water, bagels and water melon were provided for the athletes. 
    The only complaint that I have about this event is that the race results were not posted to my knowledge and if they were I apologize.  Never the less the event was still well organized and had plenty of volunteers who deserve a pat on the back for their efforts.  Without volunteers none of the these races would be possible and I am very thankful for them.    

No comments:

Post a Comment